Dorothy L. Benson, 94, of Bristol, passed away peacefully on January 28, 2008, at her residence.
Born November 23, 1913, in Zion, IL, she was the daughter of the late Henry and Martha (Gnekow) Vogler. She was a graduate of Kenosha High School and the Kenosha College of Commerce.
On June 20, 1936, at Grace Lutheran Church in Kenosha, she married William G. Benson, they then moved to Bristol. He passed away in 1990.
During the late 1930's and early 1940's she traveled throughout the Midwest with her husband hand his band "Bill Benson and His Orchestra". In the late 1930's along with her husband, brother and sister-in-law, Bryant and Avice Benson, they started Benson Corners gas station and grocery store located at Highways 45 and 50 in Bristol.
In 1948 she and her husband founded Benson Oil Company selling petroleum products under the Phillips 66 and Benco brand names. In later years they spent summers at Whitman's Resort in Hazelhurst, WI, and winters in Palm Beach Shores, FL, while maintaining their home in Bristol. She was a member of Bristol United Methodist Church.
Dorothy is survived by one son, William B. Benson of Bristol, WI; a sister, Lois Walker and sister-in-law, Avice Benson, both of Bristol; three granddaughters, Donna (Paul) Gayhart of Paddock Lake, Julie (Donald) Bayles, of Bristol and Trisha Benson of Milwaukee; and twelve great-grandchildren, Jaymes, Elizabeth, Ty, Devin, Drew, Seth, Janae, Gabriel, Luke, Austin, Travis and Alex. She is also survived by her nieces, Jayne (Richard) Benson of Burlington and Mary (Dennis) Sheen of Salem; her nephews, Donald (Nancy) Walker of Madison and Richard B. Benson of Bristol; her special friend, Brenda (Charles) Rizzo of Kenosha; and many close friends and relatives.
She was preceded in death by a son, Robert H. Benson; and two brothers-in-law, Bryant Benson and Meade Walker.
Funeral services were held on Friday, February 1, 2008 at Bristol United Methodist Church. Interment at Bristol-Paris Cemetery was be private.